May 26, 2010

You're Next American Idol Is....

Their journey started together at the Chicago auditions and it ends in LA with Chicago's own Lee DeWyze being crowned the American Idol of season 9!  I guess it came full circle...

I like Lee but I thought it would be Crystal because she was so different but here is yet another season where the judges favorite doesn't win the show (it was so obvious the judges thought Adam Lambert would win last year)...the Judges tend to push one of the contestants to the front to make it seem like they will win and then the fans vote the opposite....The viewers I guess aren't ready for that non-pop/rock winner just yet, not that Crystal won't go on to have a very successful career!

Lee's tears of joy were so genuine and he seems like the nicest guy ever!  Lee's new single will be a remake of U2's "Beautiful Day" - I'm a little confused by the choice of the idols to release a previously recorded song as their single but it is slightly better than those garbage all my dreams came true songs they usually get...

Now to review the night as a whole...

The finale started off great with the top 12 and Alice Cooper  and went to our reigning champ Kris Allen, but then it went a little old school with 2 of the BeeGees, Michael McDonald and Hall and Oates (accompanied by our idol contestants).  They then went for some comedy about Simon with Dane Cook whom I normally like but this fell way short by my Dane standards.  But they picked it up with the top 6 girls and Christina Aguilera, Crystal with Alanis Morissette,  and another Idol alum, Carrie Underwood.

The Alanis duet with Crystal was absolutely awesome!

Then Bret Michaels sang "Every Rose has it's Thorns" with Casey James..that was the greatest moment considering all he's been through in the last few weeks.

Lee DeWyze gets his duet with Chicago (a little corny since he's from Chicago) sounded good.  And again with the old school bands....

Back to the comedy with General Larry Platt's "Pants on the Ground"...one of the most unforgettable moments in idol history followed by another unforgettable terrible performance in William Hung...

Paula Abdul came back to say farewell to Simon!  But her speech felt a little rehearsed...she made a great joke about having a baby with Simon with all their past flirty...

A great performance from all the winners from the past minus David Cook (so disappointed about that he is my favorite idol)!  But I do have to say it's about time Kelly Clarkson came back...then the joining of many members of the show's past top 10's...

Simon gave a speech...Goodbye Simon the show will never be the same without your snarky comments.

And of course this season finale wasn't JUST about the winners it was about Simon's last show ever, so there were several montages and thank you's and such for a goodbye to Simon.  It's amazing how much he's changed since season 1 (appearance wise), he lost a lot of weight since the start.

Top it off with a performance by the top 12 from this season mixed in with Janet Jackson!

Janet's performance of "Nasty Boys" was pretty great, with really good backup dancers...I felt my childhood come rushing back to me and really wanted Paula to take the stage and sing "Opposites Attract"!

Crystal and Lee sing "I Get By with a Little Help from my Friends" and introduced Joe Cocker...Crystal and Lee should sing a ton of duets together, this duet (at least the start of it) and their duet during the top 4 week were both amazing!

When it's all said and done, even though Ryan said "Tonight it's about Crystal and Lee",
it felt like the finale was more about goodbye to Simon that in was about Crystal and Lee...

With the end of Simon and the end of this season I say goodbye to watching Idol (or at least i say that now)...without Simon I can't see this show really being worth it especially since I really didn't care too much for this season.  I never watched Idol consistently, I watched seasons 3 7 8 and 9.  Season 7 winner David Cook is my favorite winner, I never jumped on the Adam Lambert bandwagon so I was so glad when Kris won last year Adam just became a screamer in my opinion with the exception of "Mad World"...and Season 3 I found myself rooting for Diana to win but Fantasia was still amazing and I got to see both of them perform when I went to the taping of Live with Regis and Kelly that May but this season by far was the most disappointing...

No comments:

Post a Comment